FIMO leather-effect - Hip Flask Cover
This tutorial shows you how to make a FIMO leather-effect cover for an 8oz hip flask measuring 90mm x 135mm x 25mm.
Roll the FIMO to a depth of 8mm then fold it over and re-roll. Gently lift and pull the edges of the FIMO to help shape it into a long rectangle, then roll again. Or use a FIMO clay rolling machine to do this on settings 1-4.
Keep rolling to make the rectangle 12cm x 25cm. The depth should be no more than 1mm. Trim off any overhanging FIMO from the ends. Or use a FIMO clay rolling machine to do this on setting number 6.
Press a ‘Leather’ texture sheet onto the rolled FIMO so the pattern is transferred onto the surface. Place the tile onto a baking tray.
Shape some left over FIMO into a 3cm ball then roll it out to a depth of 2mm on a tile. Dip the stamp into bicarbonate of soda powder then press into the FIMO surface. Remove any excess powder with a soft brush.
Place the tiles with the FIMO on a baking tray. Bake at 130°C for 30 minutes. Allow FIMO to cool before handling.
Cut out the stamped lettering as an ellipse, circle or rectangle.
Punch holes on either side of the lettering then push 2 rivet pieces through the FIMO with a small amount of glue. Glue the initials in the middle of the cover.
Cut off 2 pieces from the long FIMO strip, 1cm x 24cm then glue around the top and bottom of the cover.
- Try using different FIMO leather-effect colour combinations and surface textures made with embossing folders or sheets.
- For a larger-sized hip flask, use more FIMO to make a bigger rolled strip.
- Keep your fingers clean with wet wipes so darker FIMO colours don’t transfer onto the lighter ones.
- Wipe and dry the tile before using a new FIMO colour.
- Take safety precautions and follow instructions for using superglue.
- To add rivets as decoration, just use the smaller half of a metal stud glued through a hole in the FIMO.
What you need
|FIMO® 8700 05 Acrylic roller - Blistercard containing an Acrylic roller||8700 05||1|
|FIMO® leather-effect 8010 Oven-hardening modelling clay - Single product nut||8010-779||2|
|FIMO® 8700 22 Oven thermometer - Blistercard containing 1 Oven thermometer||8700 22||1|
a large tile, a craft knife, wet wipes, lettering stamps, bicarbonate of soda, a soft paintbrush, a baking tray, a cutting mat, scissors, superglue, metal rivets, a hole punch
No time right now?
Save this article as PDF!